The Aviation is a classic cocktail made with gin, maraschino liqueur, violet cream and lemon juice. Some recipes omit the crème de violette. It is served straight up in a cocktail glass. The Aviation was created by Hugo Ensslin, head bartender at the Hotel Wallick in New York, in the early twentieth century.
- 1 and 1/2 Oz gin
- 1/2 Oz freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3/4 Oz maraschino liqueur
- 1/4 Oz violet cream (optional)
- A maraschino cherry or flamed lemon peel for garnish.
- Add the gin, lemon juice, maraschino liqueur, and violet cream to a cocktail shaker filled with ice.
- Shake until thoroughly chilled.
- Strain into a coupe glass, and garnish with a maraschino cherry or flamed lemon peel.